Our group initially formed in 2015. We held our first meeting on Sept 29, 2015 and together we raised a significant amount of money for helping out our first local charity, The Mississauga Food Bank. Since then we've only gained momentum, making a big impact on several charities in the Peel region plus increasing our membership and total contributions along the way. If this looks like something you want to be a part of then join us today!
How we work
- Each member commits to donating $100 per event, four times a year. We ask for a minimum one year commitment form.
- Events are conducted in approximately one hour.
- Any attending member may nominate a charity for consideration at an event. Click here for more details.
- Three eligible charities will be randomly selected at the meeting to be voted on.
- Each member that nominated one of the three selected charities will make a brief, informal presentation about the organization to the group. Click here for guidance on what to cover.
- Each member in attendance will then vote for one of the three charities. The charity with the most votes will be the recipient charity.
- Each member will write a cheque for $100 to the recipient charity for a total group donation of $10,000 or more.
- Members who did not vote for the selected organization agree to make their donation regardless. Members can, of course, feel free to donate their money or time privately to the other two charities if they wish.
- Members will receive a tax receipt directly from the charity in due course.
- Members who are unable to attend an event are expected to give their cheque to another member to deliver on his behalf or email us at email@example.com to make other arrangements.
- Charities under consideration must serve Peel and provide individual tax receipts directly to contributing the members.
- A charity not selected at one meeting may be submitted again at a subsequent meeting.
- A winning charity is not eligible for future consideration but the nominating member may submit the name of another charity.
- The recipient charity must agree not to give out member information to any third parties except for tax purposes.
If you join, we ask you to commit to a one year term.
If you do want to leave, that is no problem but please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update our list of active members, which is used to plan events and for communicating with our members.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sign-in at the registration desk upon arrival (Registration opens at 6:00pm, event begins at 7pm)
- Opening remarks & update from the previous event’s recipient charity
- Draw the three charity finalists for the event
- Each nominating member of a charity finalist makes a brief, informal presentation (see tip sheet for what to cover here)
- Voting on three charity finalists and ballot tabulation of winner (by simple majority)
- Announce the winning recipient charity
- Group photograph with the big cheque
You can e-mail them to us.
We have seen many different presentations. The most effective presentation is one that is informal and simple. The more information you can provide is great but remember you only have 5 minutes. A personal story and reason why the charity is important to you makes a great impact.
Here is a list of topics that you should be prepared to discuss:
- What is the name of the organization?
- Where is the organization located?
- What is the mission of the organization?
- What purpose does the organization serve? (who are they? what do they do? how do they do it?)
- How would the organization benefit from receiving the donation?
- How will the funds be used?
- What other sources of funding does the organization have (i.e. how needy is the organization)?
- Can they issue tax receipts?
- If chosen, to whom would the group make a check payable to?
- Describe your personal interactions with the organization or how you learned of the organization.
Nominate a Charity
You can also nominate a charity by doing it in-person while attending one of our meetings. Charity must be registered and able to issue tax receipts. Be sure to give us the organization's name, address and information regarding how the donations would be spent.